Monday, April 14, 2008

A Fun-Filled, Life-Affirming Weekend

Busy busy. Friday night, I attended a 20-year high school reunion happy hour at a bar in Brooklyn called Union Hall (since I couldn't attend the actual reunion at school) where I mingled with old Technites, proud of my professional and personal station in life (only one other had a 14 year old- a boy!), filled up on a nice share of compliments, old hs stories and exchanges. Many looked the same, a few had radically changed (height? hair? no hair? It all evens out). After an old boyfriend got in touch with me about a year ago to apologize for some things (19 years later!), and seeing him at the reunion, it was positive reinforcement to me for acting the way I did then, and how I'm perceived now. I feel pretty damn good.

Saturday night, went to a buddy's surprise 35th birthday party, to find out my best-friend faced a life-threatening situation that thank God turned out alright. She was glad (and so was I) to cut the rug and have a few laughs to remember that we have our families, our friends and each other, and things are good.

Both Saturday and Sunday Amanda had her second AAU tournament in Millburn, NJ and we won all of our games! Her new coach is giving her confidence back that had waned thanks to a previous coach. The girls are great (many of who are the same, having jumped ship too) and I'm excited. Will post team pics soon!

As a complete non-sequitor, it was because of Paul Giamatti's amazing performance as Harvey Pekar in "American Splendor," that I took interest in his comic book (same name) about ordinary life in Cleveland, Ohio. He was recently tapped to appear in an episode of "Anthony Bourdain's No Resevations," and I'm just giddy again!

It's a good day.

5 comments:

Roe said...

Sounds like a great time! But what happened to who? Is everyone okay? Details!

We ended up having to miss Marc's party because Rich (my stepdad) is back in the hospital and we spent the day in Jersey with my mom.

Linda said...

Rose got held up at gunpoint last Thursday and mugged at an ATM when getting money for Lauren's payday. Thank God she is ok.

Roe said...

Oh my GOD! I had no idea! Thank God she's okay! Did she file a police report?

Linda said...

I dunno, but Lauren told me our whacko friend decided to return to the scene of the crime the next day to get money out!

Stacey said...

Wow, I'd probably never go on that block again. She's got balls... you know...