Friday, June 13, 2008

Graduation







































Amanda graduated from Our Lady Queen of Martyrs yesterday, and it couldn't have been a nicer day. The day started with a special mass in the morning, where honor cords were distributed for the kids to wear later in the evening. Amanda and I then went to breakfast with her best bud Nora (who also racked up a bunch of honors-both she and Amanda were the only two girls that received excellent athlete awards) and her mom, Maria, who will be joining us in Maine this summer. I love these two immensely.

Later that night, the ceremony went smoothly and swiftly, with Amanda racking up several more awards, including my personal fave, the St. John's University "Women in Science" award. Of late she's been talking about becoming an astronaut (her group in class also won first place for a science fair project on rockets, could be the start of something here...) and I'd love to see it happen.

I was pretty ok up til this point, actually, until I saw a parent of younger children who has helped me out tremendously this past year with some school events, and then it hit me that I wouldn't have to do this stuff at Martyrs anymore and we were both crying. Then when I saw Amanda's two main teachers and we gave them flowers, we cried some more. Her main teacher's son goes to St. Francis Prep though, so she reminded me that we'll be selling cookies together next year and I felt a little better.

Where does the time go?

2 comments:

Roe said...

Oh my goodness, I got choked up just looking at the pictures. I still think of her as Alex's age, desperate to hold my new baby Will. Now, Alex just went to his Kindergarten orientation and Will is heading to fourth grade in the fall. Where do the years go, indeed?

Congrats to the Grad and to the fantastic parents who got her there!

Unknown said...

Congratulations to Amanda. I can't believe time has passed so quickly.