Monday, February 27, 2006

Watching the Tube Doesn't Make Me a Complete Boob

I'm going to go out on a limb and sound very 1950s, but I have to say that, despite the amalgam of bad television shows on the air, (of which I have often given my two-cent critique), some televised programming has brought our family joy. Like tonight, my daughter and I were laughing hysterically while watching "Whose Line Is It, Anyway?" that just felt soo good. I also think about our mother-daughter time watching "Gilmore Girls," or lying in bed crying over a wedding/heart attack double episode of "Roseanne," snuggling with Ian on the couch to watch "Six Feet Under," watching doctors work miracles on the Discovery channel, or checking out late night videos. They are small, fleeting moments, yes, but I cherish them just the same.

6 comments:

Chris said...

I think that's great, spending time with your daughter is the important thing, not whether or not some writer thinks its high culture or not.

Stacey said...

Personally, I think that TV is a good way to spend time together. It's a common interest, and something to talk about. Adam and I have some of the most interesting conversations after a great episode of Lost, or Battlestar Galactica.

Roe said...

It is a great way for families to spend time together. Like anything else, if you do it with the best of intentions it can be a fun experience.

I watch Will's shows with him and we crack up laughing (Jimmy Neutron is pretty funny stuff) - and now, he actually calls for me when a particular show is on. We have bonding time. Alex and I play along with Dora or Blue. Mike and I yell at the TV (okay, it's really just me yelling at the TV while Mike shakes his head) to 24 or Battlestar Galactica. We run out to Bed Bath & Beyond after an episode of Good Eats, or Iron Chef America.

It's fun. It enhances an already existing, goofy relationship. It's only when TV becomes a filler for contact that it polarizes families.

BTW - Whose Line is it Anyway is hilarious.

Linda said...

I think Wayne Brady is a genius. I don't know how he does it, but when he conjures up a song on the spot he makes it sound as if it's been a song for years.

Roe said...

Wayne Brady rocks, I love his improv songs. But Ryan Stiles and Colin Mochrie together can move me to tears.

Stacey said...

He was the best on Chapelle's show...