Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Blah-ging

Oy, the summer has come and gone. I would've blogged sooner, but I forgot my Blogger password!

I flew my mom up for a visit, and that was nice, I miss her. I wish I had a zillion dollars to fix her and us all up right. Amanda's doing great in her summer basketball league/still keen on the doctor/WNBA bball dream. Last weekend she got me in a weak moment and we painted her room. Finally done! Blue w/dark blue trim, and Ian did an amazing freehand pattern around the room. It is an oasis. She is slowly beginning to appreciate eyeliner and loves "Donnie Darko" (and its cool 80s soundtrack), "Saved!" and "Uncle Buck" (a movie I loathed when it came out, but now I love it.) Oh yeah, Amanda and her cousins, who recently moved from California, took her to the Warped Tour, where she got to see a band she likes, Gym Class Heroes. Apparently she got a little tired there and had to sit down at one point, but had fun. (Too bad she missed Joan Jett, who I would've loved to see-she was on another stage). Jett looks fantastic at 50!

Went to a wedding in the Hamptons at a winery with guests that looked like something out of an American Eagle ad. The vibe was kind of hippy (the maid of honor was a dog) and the reception was in a big airy barn-lots of sunflowers.

I've mostly been frying my eyes late at night on the computer for my newspaper gig, going to get my eyes checked tomorrow. I will probably need to get glasses. No vanity issues here. I love wearing sunglasses now!

Sept. 11 is approaching, and my old college buddy Christina's family has gotten a bunch of recent press. The parents wrote an editorial in last Sunday's Daily News-they only found out in the recent release of 911 tapes that her brother Christian Regenhard's company was dispatched to the South Tower. A single fact uttered five years later! I remember that memorial like yesterday, Amanda came with us. I saw his sister earlier this summer, it is hard for her to accept the idea that Christian isn't around anymore, I can't imagine what that must be like. They're even naming a class after him at John Jay College, Regenhard Center for Emergency Response Studies. Hillary Clinton is helping to get funds together for it. My father in law has been asking about going to see the new Oliver Stone flick, but I don't know.

3 comments:

Roe said...

I've missed you! I thought of you when I read the editorial the other day. It's still so surreal.

Stacey said...

Sounds like you've had a busy summer, and it's great you now have an appreciation for "Uncle Buck". John Candy was a genius.

We saw Cristina's mom on TV the other day, actually. She's done so much for the cause of the families, it's really impressive. That memorial, though I really don't know them that well was the saddest thing I've ever attended.

There's no way I'm going to see that movie yet. My mom actually advised me against it. Maybe in a few years.

Linda said...

I saw a one minute snippet of it the other day in a news segment, and it was the scene of the guy writing to his wife in the rubble, and I was like OK! That's enough!