Saturday, August 26, 2006

Culture Club is a Blast

For once, our daughter slept over at someone else's house instead of always having the sleepovers at our place, so Ian and I went out for dinner in Union Square and then boogied at Culture Club, which was everything I hoped. Admittedly I was little skeptical when we first arrived early (10:30 or so) and the place didn't have many people, but within the hour it was packed and every tune was perfect! We never left the dance floor, except when nature called. They played many 12" versions of songs I hadn't heard in a while, while videos of Blondie, Bananarama and more played on the video screens. Everywhere there were murals of Madonna, Billy Idol, the "Rio" cover, Joan Jett, John Hughes flicks. Everyone was happy as can be, and Ian loved the 'smoke' filled room. He even dared to put on a touch of eyeliner! Definitely one of the best nights out in a while.
ONe thing though-if you go, make sure you grab an ad in Time Out, as I did, or else they'll try to hit you up for a $20 cover fee! I whipped out my magazine and in the end we went in for free.

6 comments:

Stacey said...

I love that you guys went dancing! That's awesome. Sounds like fun.

Linda said...

We really should get a group and all go, it was so much fun, felt all of about 15 and loved it.

Chris said...

That place sounds awesome

Roe said...

Sounds good! Remember all my bachelorette parties at Polly Esther's? God, I miss that place. Even the one in the Village closed down, what happened? Did they just go out of business?

Stacey said...

I think they suffered from both exorbitant rents in the village, and the Guliani crackdown on nightclubs... When he decided to enforce all those cabaret laws. We lost a lot of fun places to go enjoy music in those years. Coney Island High, Tramps... sigh...

Roe said...

The Polly Esther's uptown was awesome, that's where we'd all go. The one downtown was a firetrap. We showed up one night to the uptown one and it was closed - it was now some jazz piano bar, I was so ticked off.