Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Highlights of our Lives

I was watching the series finale of Gilmore Girls tonight, where Rory got to meet her idol, Christiane Amanpour. This was a wonderful episode through and through, tying up the ends, and rather than an overly written script, let crucial moments shine with few or no words, like Lorelai by Rory's bedside the night before she leaves to report on Obama's campaign trail. Or the loving exchange between Rory and her best friend Lane, or the moment when Lorelai realizes all Luke did to help make Rory's bon voyage party come to fruition.

Then, something better happened. I went online and found out one of my good buddies from college is now a doctor. I still can't believe it. I was explaining the final process to Amanda, how Chris gave a dissertation, was questioned for an hour, then was asked to leave the room for a bit, and when he went back inside, his peers gave him the title of Dr. What a wondrous moment.

Thank God for these times. Even though they are not mine, I certainly can share in the thrill of accomplishment for another, real or virtual, as'my Rory' has grown up. I have moments like this with Amanda all the time, when she writes a great paper (she now wants to be an author), makes a wicked lay up, or does a kind deed, like treating a friend who is being shunned by others in her class as a friend, because she has some seriously scary issues at her door. I'm trying to figure out what might happen when the girl comes over on Friday. I hope to find the right words, or right way to be. If I do, that'll make my day, and hopefully hers.

1 comment:

Stacey said...

I thought the show was great. They really did the finale justice, and I almost wasn't as sad as I thought it would be that it's done.

Oddly enough, this week's episode of LOST was all about Charlie's "Greatest Hits" the top 5 moments of his life.

I don't think we think about those moments enough. Sometimes it's even hard to really pull them out of my head, it takes some real digging back...