Thursday, September 20, 2007

Gossip Girl

Did anyone catch it? I admit with shame that I did, strictly out of curiosity for the hype, (I am the media whore, after all) and I love the song that they kept playing in the commercial, "Something to Believe In" by Aqualung.

So, aside from the fact that it's not my age range, and I never ran with the rich or popular crowd (more Freaks and Geeks), Serena is sort of a likeable character, made a mistake, tried to clean up her act and is back in town. She has a streak of being genuine, amidst all the phonies. The phantom Gossip Girl that narrates I can do without, EXTREMELY annoying. Lose her! Let the characters gossip. Then again, I guess that would mean losing the show's premise, and deviate from the books the show is based on.

I know some critics are talking about how shocking it is to see sex and drugs, in a high school scenario, on tv, but I remember sitting in a class once in junior or senior year and a group of the popular/druggie kids giggling, having a discussion about who gave who crabs. This stuff goes on, not only at the rich uptown schools.


There's a cute guy, Dan, who played the 'geek' guy in "John Tucker Must Die" (I thought was way cuter than John Tucker, anyway), except this time he's got really short hair instead of his curly locks.

There's a despicable character who tries to date rape or screw anything that walks, including a 14 year old girl, that was disgusting. Luckily her brother Dan and Serena come to the rescue.


Anyway, don't expect substance here. I don't think I'll watch that closely, but it can't be worse than watching 'reality' television on VH1 or anything...

3 comments:

Roe said...

I admit, with shame, that I read one of the books. It was on the free pile, I needed a book to read at lunch one day... I'm sorry.

I'm with you Linda, I ran with more of the "Freaks & Geeks" crowd. Well, I was in an all-girls Catholic high school, so think "Heaven Help Us" but with estrogen.

Stacey said...

I watched it, almost turned it off after 10 minutes but decided to power through it. I thought most of the characters were pretty irritating, I did like the Dan character, he was nice and vulnerable.

I think it's hard to watch a show set in such a upper income range with no real relatability.

It's funny, the courtyard at the "Palace Hotel" where they are staying isn't really a hotel, it's the building on the next block from my office.

I think I'll watch the next episode and see if they start really making the characters more developed, they're still a little stereotyped in the first ep.

Stacey said...

Oh, the Palace Hotel on the show, is really the Palace, somehow I never put two and two together and that's a back entrance... ha ha ha...