Monday, September 24, 2007

A Trip to the Library

I went to the Forest Hills library today, which had been closed for some time for renovations, to get a book for one of Amanda's assignments. It now has a room of computers for internet access, new floors, DVDS are now on alphabatized shelves, but more interestingly, you can now check out your own books-slip your card in a slot, and place your items on a small surface-all at one time, that scans em in, print out your receipt, and that's it. Bags are free now, too! If this is ancient news, and I've just been out of the loop, I apologize.

On the way out, I saw a book called "Life on the "Refrigerator Door: Notes Between a Mother and Daughter." I liked the premise, so I took it. I didn't think to thumb through the book-it is entirely comprised of refrigerator notes. I was skeptical that the book could offer much, but a very short read away, it made me cry. I realized that the brevity of the writing suits it, kind of like the situations life can throw, sometimes there's no time to react.

3 comments:

Roe said...

I've wanted to check out that book. How's Amanda doing? This is the big year, 8th grade - wow!

Stacey said...

Sometimes words are overrated...

Linda said...

Yeah, scar-y! Things seem calm for moment, she's taking a TACHS prep course at her school twice a week after school that's just for her grade, taught by the teachers from the school. It's nice, because they know their strengths and weaknesses, only six kids or so in a group. CYO season starts next month, and so do all the open houses, kinda narrowed down to a few though, at this point.


Yeah, you can make it through the book in about an hour or so, but still packed a punch, kinda sneaks up on you.