Monday, July 20, 2009

Music, Memoirs and Me

The summer of 2009 has bolted like a racehorse and is nearly half over. These past couple of weeks have been slow work wise, so I've taken some time for myself a bit, with writing my memoir, getting some new clothes and renewing my library card to read some new memoirs.

A couple of weeks ago I took a three-hour memoir writing workshop, which helped me realize some of my writing handicaps, particularly in the area of 'seeing vs. saying'...remembering to describe those that I may have seen endless times, but another person perhaps, never has. To choose adjectives over saying 'x' looks like 'so and so.' It's a cop out I too frequently rely on. I remembered being overwhelmed walking home that night after the class, committed to what I've started, but worried if I'll be able to execute it in the best way possible.

I'm only a few chapters in, but already the memoir "Here if You Need Me: A True Story" paints a picture of an incredibly strong woman, in ways I could only hope to be facing the sudden loss of a loved one. The author, Kate Braestrup was married to a state trooper that aspired to be a minister. Sudddenly he is killed in a car accident. She slowly pieces her life with her four children back together and eventually becomes one of Maine's first chaplains ever appointed to the Maine Warden Service. Her choice to personally bathe and prepare her husband's body after his autopsy, prior to his cremation, is bold and moving. I look forward to reading further. I've also gotten a memoir by Julia Child and Alex Prud'homme, "My Life in France," along with Joan Didion's "A Year of Magical Thinking," so I've got a full plate.



Ian and I recently went to a fantastic concert too, our first in a year since Radiohead. I hope the 'annual' gig doesn't become a pattern-there's too much good music out there, but life, money, time often are scarce. We caught The Dead Weather-Jack White's third band-in concert at Terminal 5. I secured a spot before 6pm, the band didn't go on til almost 10:30pm, but being thisclose to the stage, seeing Jack White, was amazing. The energy the new band had together was fresh and exciting, and the house was mobbed. It was the best night we'd had out in a while. Jack White is HOT!

No comments: