Saturday, June 25, 2005

Vernon Duke's thoughts of Paris Ring True

I was recently reading an essay by Art Buchwald, who spoke with Vernon Duke, the composer of the song "April In Paris," and how he tried to describe Paris to E. Y. Harburg, the lyricist.


In the essay, Harburg asks Duke 'what's the feeling during April in Paris?' Duke says, "I always had the feeling that in Paris in the spring, something wonderful should inevitably happen, but it never did," which helped Harburg with the lyric:



April in Paris

Who can I turn to?

What have you done to my heart?




My husband and I formally began our efforts to conceive a second child when we went to Paris, with our eight year old daughter. I was ovulating, we were in love with life and Paris, and I was certain that the timing would be perfect. Financially, we were finally at a good station in our lives. Shortly after, we took a half year break when I accepted a new position. But alas, three years later, we still have not succeeded in getting pregnant. I hope we do soon. My body aches to have another child.

No comments: