Friday, January 18, 2008

Looks Like St. Francis Prep is It

Up til today, we were all fine. Come noon time, all of our brains were blotto, with the realization that today was the day we'd get notification on the Catholic High Schools. That damned postman was ever so slow! I was pacing my block furiously, practically stalking the guy. I couldn't think straight or do any work. In a rarity, my daughter bolted home from school, but her teacher had already tipped her off that things were looking good.

After loving it, loving another and then loving it madly all over again, Amanda has made St. Francis Prep. She made the others, too, one was with honors and an incentive to take senior classes at St. John's University. But it's St. Francis Prep all the way, she says. Gulp. Where do I get my shovel?

Don't get me wrong, I was thrilled for her and loved watching her do her happy dance...we did apply for the specialized high schools too (earlier this year it was looking like more of a necessity than a choice...) but we won't hear word on that til March or so. But, going to Prep is going to be a commitment of paying $28,000 for the next four years!!!

The other day, there was a small news item about how Yale is offering a 50% reduced tuition rate for students whose families make less than $120,000. You think at first hearing this wow, that's great! That's still $120,000 or so for school, before all other expenses. And Amanda isn't going to college for another four years. So now we'd have to take a vow of poverty to accept...going into poverty...it is a vicious cycle.

2 comments:

Roe said...

Congrats, Amanda! Linda, I hear you; once Will graduates PS139, we're likely going the Catholic school route. I'm already having tuition nightmares.

But for now, CELEBRATE!

Stacey said...

That's great news! I don't know how new york kids do it. Though I'm sure this process prepares them for the college application process. Congrats to Amanda!