Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Quick Hit

I'm reading Johnny Cash's autobiography. Did you know he is a descendant of the first king of Scotland? Pretty good read so far.

Saw "V for Vendetta," didn't like it. I have a feeling it's a case of the comic being WAY better than the film-this just didn't translate well. Hugo Weaving was great, but Natalie Portman just doesn't make a convincing transition from a gal who wishes to remain below the radar to a vigilante. Hair shaving scene didn't help, although I like the way it looks.

Also saw "She's the Man," with Amanda Bynes, who for the tween set, is a class act. While I got tired of her slapstick show on Nick as my Amanda got older, she has aged gracefully and her character's perceptions of how a guy is supposed to act (and her execution of these) are hilarious, even though she in no way shape or form is convincing as a guy.

I want to go see "The Libertine" with Johnny Depp next.

BTW, if you have time, you can watch the 'Scientology' episode of South Park on The Superficial web site (I've got the link to the right.)

8 comments:

Roe said...

Will LOVES The Amanda Show, do you think the movie is okay for him to go see?

I want to see The Libertine, too. Is it at The Midway?

I had no idea Johnny Cash was descended from royalty - I'll have to check the book out when you're done.

Linda said...

Tricky to say. I mean, there's little language, no sex (but she's sporty, strong minded and beautiful as a girl, which is nice), although he might think how Viola acts as a guy might be 'cool' at first-she tries to seem like a lothario of sorts.) It's nice to see the guy roommate she falls for isn't a pig, though, so he's a positive influence.

I'll tell you a web site I swear by for movies (when they get older and you're concerned about certain subject matter/images)-www.screenit.com. It is a kind of spoiler, but they let you know EVERY shot, every word, every subject covered. It's $25 a year, but it's well worth it, there'll be no surprises. We've used it for several years now.

Linda said...

There is suggestive dialogue tho, and Viola and her brother (Sebastian) both drop trou on the field to prove they are a guy/girl to the soccer officials (not at all seen, but implied.)...

Roe said...

I'll think about it, but it may not be so bad. Maybe I'll let Mike take him, let him answer the hard questions, hee hee...

Stacey said...

Not the same sort of reveal you had in "Just One Of The Guys" I suppose... :)

Linda said...

Is that the movie from the eighties, with the journalist that disguises herself as a guy? Oh no, nothing like that...she quickly just lifts her shirt but you see absolutely nothing, and it's back to the game.

Stacey said...

Yep, the 80's classic...

Roe said...

They mentioned Just One of the Guys on The Soup, and how both movies are essentially Shakespeare's Twelfth Night - it was pretty funny. I've become hooked on both The Soup and The Daily Show with Jon Stewart.